I have an old school southern cookbook, the Share Croppers Cookbook, and it has a broccoli salad recipe that calls for 1 lb of bacon. I kid you not. Is this broccoli salad or bacon salad? This is one reason why Mississippi has an obesity problem.
My recipe for broccoli salad is lighter and a great side to go along with any meal.
- Use salt in your dressing
- Feel free to swap out the dried fruit for fresh fruit, fresh grapes are a great alternative to dried cherries or raisins.
- You can use slivered almonds instead of pecans in this salad too.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Serves 6 to 8 people Calories 195 per serving
- 1 lb broccoli chopped
- 3 slices bacon cooked crisp and drained of any grease
- ¼ cup pecans chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, or 1/2 cup chopped fresh grapes
- 2 scallions chopped
- ½ cup Mayonnaise or 3/4 cup of vegan Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup whole plain yogurt or Keifer
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or dill optional
- Cook bacon and drain on paper towels or draining rack. Then chop broccoli, scallions, pecans, and grapes if using.
- Wisk together Mayonnaise, yogurt or Keifer, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt, and chopped parsley or dill if using.
- Mix all ingredients and serve immediately or chill if not serving immediately.